Friday, March 03, 2006

Dr. Livingstone, I presume?

Heh... at least that's how I feel searching for this Bamboo Lady. I have had some luck this evening. I had dinner at a Balinesian restaurant called Arie's (yeah, I didn't think it sounded Balinesian either, but the food was excellent) and told Arie all about my search for the Bamboo Lady. "Ah ha!", he said. It seems that he could help me. The local library was run by a Balinesian married to an American woman. After dinner he walked me down the road to their house where many of the locals were practicing their drumming performance for the upcoming fire dance. I sipped on some mango juice (oooOOOooo....) and waited for their practice to end. Well, it turns out that they do know Linda Garland (aka Bamboo Lady) and were able to draw me a map to her house and to the Bamboo Foundation (when I retire I want to start the Cheese Foundation, a non-profit organization for the promotion of cheese worldwide, with a harsh bias towards Stilton). They also gave me the name of another foundation in town that is helping rebuild Aceh, that might be of interest to my company.

This all of couse means that I have to cancel my day of lounging around the pool tomorrow doing absolutely nothing. I suppose I'll have to fore-go (sp?) my three hour siesta and I might acutally have to move a muscle tomorrow. Oh well... at least I get to walk through the Sacred Monkey Forest to get to this woman's house. Perhaps I can watch some of the monkeys fight over the banana that I throw them again. That was fun. Must remember to take that candybar out of my pocket this time though... which reminds me, I need to go to the pharmacy and buy some more antiseptic.


(Just kidding about the monkey attack, Mum).